Monday, September 12, 2011

Hate To Keep Flogging a Deceased Equine, But...


Did I mention that duck season's not looking so good this year? This is the old flood-control lake on the in-laws' homestead and my A#1 fowling spot. If I had taken this picture in a normal year I'd be standing in about four feet of water, ducks would be dropping from the sky and all would be good and right in the world.

So it goes...

At least I got in a little work on some planted birds with knucklehead Jenny while we were down there seeing how bad things were.


I'll be hitting the Kansas prairie chicken opener with Scampwalker this week and it'll be interesting to see how she does, or doesn't. I thought I had her pretty well whoa broke but we had some issues when the quail started flying. Hope the guys I'm hunting with are patient souls or I may be relegated to hunting along so they can actually enjoy themselves...

2 comments:

  1. Hey, it's okay to keep pointing out just how bad things are right now. Good luck, and may you get some rains real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I've already invited you out once for mountain quail. I don't care a whit what your dog does, I just love hunting with dogs. She can run every bird two counties over, and I'll be happy as a lark.

    I love upland hunting, but I have never understood just how uptight people get over dogs - and I hope I never will. It's hunting, and it's a good time; don't be an a-hole because some autonomous creature decides to have a mind of its own for a bit. Be glad you have the time and inclination to get out and do what you do.

    ReplyDelete