Sunday, April 26, 2015

First Yak Bass...


...of the year. And a decent one at that. Not huge, but at 5.8 lbs. on my ancient-but-dead-on Rapala digital scale, not a bad way to break in the kayak this season. I would have preferred to have caught her on a fly, but when your gut (and the gusting wind) tells you to put down the rabbit strip leech and start throwing the red shad Tiki Stik, you put down the rabbit strip leech and start throwing the red shad Tiki Stik.

Truth be told, I probably should have gone turkey hunting. That was my plan. But when I got up early that morning, poured myself a cup of coffee and walked outside into the darkness, there wasn't a hint of wind, a rare thing on the prairie in springtime. So I started thinking about bass and kayaks, and how I'd experienced neither so far this year, separately or in conjunction.

I am, admittedly, a fairly casual turkey hunter, and a fairly obsessed angler, so bass and kayaks took the day. I ditched my turkey hunting plans, loaded up the yak and headed for a local lake. As it turned out, the wind was just politely waiting for me to get on the water before starting to howl. But I had a good hour to two before it blew me off the lake. The vagaries of plains weather giveth, then taketh away...

With fish pics I try as much as possible to follow the tenant of "keep 'em wet" (besides the ones I plan on eating), so I snapped a couple quick pics in the water, then off she went.


And wouldn't you know, I didn't catch a damn thing after that. So it goes...

1 comment:

  1. Thought I'd responded here, but guess I didn't.

    Since I bailed out of Texas for my old stomping (spashing?) grounds in NC, I'm shopping fishing kayaks right now, and will likely buy soon (unless I end up buying a "real" boat first) since the spanish mackerel are running, and the kings will be right behind them. I'm looking forward to paddling the surf line with something shiny trailing behind me.

    I think I've mentioned before that one of my favorite vacation trips is down to Baja to fish for dorado and tuna from kayaks in the Sea of Cortez. If you've never tied into a big fish in a teeny-tiny boat... the sensation of being a compass needle comes to mind, and it certainly gives an appreciation for ol' Santiago.

    Come on out to the beach, Chad. Those bass are fun and all, but...

    ReplyDelete